Kylian videoarchive can no longer be found on its formal address at the Arts and Theater Institute, Celetná 17. We have moved to new premises and since 1st October 2012 we operate as a part of Library of HAMU, Malostranské náměstí 13.
This library is open for public visitors.
We would like to point out to students of the Dance Department that book titles and video recordings have also been moved from the former DD HAMU reference library to the HAMU library. From now on, the funds remaining at the Dance Department are to be used only by teachers for tuition purposes. Everything else is available to you at any time in the HAMU library!
The Kylian Video Library has become the foundation of a newly emerged department for dance studies. Concurrently with the relocation it has significantly expanded the range of services available to researchers, and in connection with this change it also has a new name:
Kyliánovo taneční centrum a knihovna – Kylian Dance Centre and Library (KDCL)
Besides the vast collection of video recordings that were already available to researchers before, there are now other funds available for use:
- history of dance and ballet (books, textbooks and university textbooks)
- professional dance literature (from the fields of dance science, general aesthetics and dance aesthetics, ethnography, sociology and others)
- dance technique and methodologies of the fields of classic modern and folk dance
- rhythmic movement and dance education of children and teenagers
- descriptions and chorological and sheet-music records of dances
- ballet librettos
- biographies of dance authors and performers
- profile publications about troupes and theatres
- books of photographs and drawings
More than 2,500 of the books in this fund are accessible off-site; the rest are available on-site.
- archive of choreographer Jiří Kylián
- archive of dancer Markéta Kyliánová (Rita-Rita)
- archive of choreographer Jan Hartmann
- archive of dancer and collector Stanislav Buzek (including several artefacts of his vast collection)
- archive of prof. Božena Brodská
- archive of mrs. Elmarita Divíšková
- archive of choreographer and head of the ballet section of Nation Theater of Czech Republic Jiří Němeček
- archive of choreographer and pedagogue Jiřina Mlíkovská
- archive of associate professor Eva Kröschlová, choreographer Jarmila Kröschlová et al.
September to June:
Monday: 10:00 – 17:00
Tuesday: 10:00 – 17:00
Wednesday: 11:00 – 17:00
Thursday: 10:00 – 17:00
Friday: 10:00 – 13:00
If you desire to visit the library during summer-time, please make an appointment first.
Consultations for students of Dance and Nonverbal Theater study programs:
Tuesday – Friday during regular opening hours of the library.
Library of HAMU is situated on address Malostranské náměstí 13, Praha 1, Malá strana.
For public transport take tram number 12, 20, 22 or 23 to "Malostranské náměstí" station.
Those who want to avoid a minor climb up the hill can also take microbus 292 from Malostranské náměstí in the direction of hospital Pod Petřínem. It will take you one short step further and stop behind the church of St. Nicolas - directly in front of HAMU building. The library is located just three and then additional two little footsteps above the ground floor.